delicious

Search This Blog

Friday, January 8, 2010

Method 8

The final part of this exercise is to write about this experience in your blog. (Please include “Method 8″ in the title of your post.) Consider some of these questions as you reflect on this two-stepping method: How do you feel about social networking sites in general? Do you have privacy concerns and/or concerns about keeping your personal life separate from your professional life in the online environment? Is your library already using some of these social networking tools and if not, do you see potential uses for any of these tools in your library? Finally, if you created a MySpace or Facebook profile and you don’t mind sharing it with everyone, include a link to it from your blog post.
1. I avoided Facebook for a while...now I wonder why I waited so long! (and can't stop playing hold 'em, farmville, and cafe world.....
I don't think there isn't anything inherently evil or bad about social networking sites (or any other web 2.0 tools). I think the problem comes in when people speak negatively about them or use them inappropriately. Anything can be used in the wrong way: food, money This doesn't mean we should avoid them. We should become stronger advocates for their "good" uses.

I use facebook for connecting with high school friends, library friends, and recreation. I use twitter to follow a couple of library gurus: (Valenza and M. Stephens)
One privacy concern I see is people being punish for things they post on facebook. I don't think this should be a good thing. it's akin to first amendment infringement. I love using facebook for personal and social commentary and shouldn't be judged for what I read, engage and subscribe to on my OWN time.

Since facebook is blocked in my district (twitter is not) many educators are using ning networks. I haven't created one yet but subscribe to several.

The potential for these networks are positive and numerous:
communicating with parents, collaboration with colleagues, providing/promoting library goods and services....

No comments:

Post a Comment